Welcome to La Jolla CA homes for sale & lifestyle! Affectionately named the “Jewel City,” La Jolla is an affluent, charming, and hilly coastal community within the city of San Diego, CA. Occupying nearly 7 miles of curving coastline along the Pacific Ocean, La Jolla is surrounded by ocean bluffs and scenic beaches, located approximately 12 miles north of Downtown San Diego and 40 miles south of Orange County. La Jolla extends along the Pacific Ocean shoreline north to include Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve (one of the wildest stretches of land on the Southern California coast) ending at Del Mar. Boasting near perfect weather, La Jolla has a mild climate and an average daily temperature of around 70 degrees. As of 2016, La Jolla has a population of approximately 28,561 residents.
Home to a variety of businesses, La Jolla’s economic engine is comprised of restaurants, shopping, lodging accommodations, real estate, software, bioengineering, finance, scientific research, and medical practice. La Jolla is home to several Institutes of higher learning including the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), the Salk Institute, Scripps Institution of Oceanography (part of UCSD), Scripps Research Institute, and the headquarters of National University. Read more about La Jolla CA Homes for sale & lifestyle…
La Jolla CA Homes for Sale
Browse through all La Jolla CA Homes for Sale below:
If you would like to set up a private showing or would like more information about any of these La Jolla CA homes for sale, please contact Magnus Realty Group today at (619) 450-8755. We can provide you with additional information about available listings and help you find the ideal home for your lifestyle preferences and needs! The MRG Team brings over 20+ years of combined experience in residential real estate.
More About La Jolla CA Homes for Sale & Lifestyle
The “Village” area of La Jolla is where the majority of shops and restaurants are located. Prospect Street is the main restaurant area and Girard Avenue is the main shopping street. La Jolla is known worldwide for its vast array of cuisine. From casual seaside cafes to sophisticated, fine dining establishments, many of the best La Jolla restaurants have received awards on a local and national level. La Jolla is the ultimate mecca for shopping lovers. From local boutiques to high-end designers, La Jolla is known for offering the best shopping experience in San Diego. Popular shopping areas include the trendy Westfield UTC outdoor mall and downtown La Jolla Village – just to name a few!
Also home to numerous fine art galleries, La Jolla was actually once an artists colony. In 1894, Anna Held Heinrich established the Green Dragon Colony, a cluster of twelve artist cottages designed by Irving Gill, who later became San Diego’s best-known architect. La Jolla is also home to the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, located in the former home of Ellen Browning Scripps (designed by Irving J. Gill). The original La Jolla Playhouse was founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, and Mel Ferrer, and now incorporates three theaters including the Mandell Weiss Theatre, the Mandell Weiss Forum, and the Potiker Theater.
Magnus Realty Group – Serving La Jolla CA Real Estate Buyers and Sellers – Call Us Today!
When it comes to the La Jolla housing market, La Jolla offers a variety of residential options and they vary widely in price between The eastern portion of La Jolla, referred to as UTC (University Towne Center) and the beach neighborhoods. The median price for La Jolla homes for sale CA currently hovers around $1,600,000; however, certain neighborhoods such as Bird Rock will be in the millions. La Jolla neighborhoods include:
- La Jolla Shores consists of a residential area and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography campus along La Jolla Shores Beach and east up the hillside. la Jolla shores also include an area of shops and restaurants along Avenida de la Playa.
- La Jolla Heights is comprised of homes on the hills overlooking La Jolla Shores.
- La Jolla Farms is a northern La Jolla neighborhood just west of UCSD. It includes a collection of expensive homes on the cliffs above Black’s Beach as well as Torrey Pines Gliderport and the Salk Institute.
- Beach-Barber Tract is the coastal section from Windansea Beach to the Village.
- Country Club is lower Mt. Soledad on the northwest side, including the La Jolla Country Club golf course.
- Hidden Valley is the lower portion of Mount Soledad on the northern slopes.
- The Village of La Jolla (not to be confused with La Jolla Village) is the “downtown” business district area, including most of La Jolla’s shops and restaurants, and the immediate surrounding higher density and single-family residential areas.
- La Jolla Village (Not to be confused with the Village of La Jolla) is in northeast La Jolla, east of La Jolla Heights, west of I-5, and south of UCSD. The area includes the La Jolla Village Square shopping and residential mall, which includes two movie theaters.
- Lower Hermosa is a coastal strip south of Beach-Barber Tract.
- Upper Hermosa is southwestern La Jolla, north of Bird Rock and east of La Jolla Blvd.
- Muirlands is a residential area on the western middle slope of Mt. Soledad.
- Muirlands West is a small residential neighborhood between Muirlands to the south, and Country Club to the north.
- Bird Rock is southern coastal La Jolla, and the lowest slopes of Mt. Soledad in the area. It includes shops and restaurants along La Jolla Boulevard, coastal bluffs, and surfing areas just two blocks off the main drag. You will also find multi million dollar homes in Bird Rock.
- La Jolla Mesa is a strip on the lower southern side of Mt. Soledad, bordering Pacific Beach.
- La Jolla Alta is a master-planned residential development east of La Jolla Mesa.
- Soledad South includes the southeastern slopes of Mt. Soledad up to the top, east of La Jolla Alta.
La Jolla Beaches
The beautiful beaches of La Jolla along the breathtaking San Diego coastline offer some of the best beaches in California. Each of La Jolla’s beaches has its own personality and unique attributes. La Jolla Shores is a mile-long sand beach and home to the Scripps Institute of Oceanography pier, popular among families and surfers. At the northernmost point of La Jolla is Torrey Pines City Beach with 300-foot sea cliffs and endless views of the Pacific. Further south is Black’s Beach, a favorite among local surfers and bodyboarders. La Jolla Cove is a small deep water bay with sea caves accessible by kayaks and on foot, depending on the tides. Located near downtown La Jolla is the Children’s Pool, a small cove protected by a concrete breakwater wall. At Hospital Beach, you’ll find some excellent tide pools that get exposed during low tides. Just a few steps north of Hospitals there is a small sandy beach called Wipeout Beach. The next major beach going southward is Windansea, a popular family beach and a well-known surf spot.
Schools & Education
La Jolla CA homes for sale are served by the San Diego Unified School District. Public schools in La Jola include La Jolla Elementary School, Torrey Pines Elementary School, Bird Rock Elementary School, Muirlands Middle School, and La Jolla High School as well as Preuss School, a public charter school. La Jolla has several prep schools including The Bishop’s School (founded in 1909), The Children’s School, Delphi Academy, Stella Maris Academy, The Gillispie School, and the Evans School. La Jolla Country Day School is located in nearby University City.
The University of California, San Diego (UCSD) is the center of higher education in La Jolla. UCSD includes the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the San Diego Supercomputer Center. National University is also headquartered in La Jolla, with several academic campuses located throughout the county and the state. Research institutes near UCSD and in the nearby Torrey Pines Science Park are Scripps Research Institute, the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute (formerly called the La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation), La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology (LJI), and the Salk Institute for Biological Studies.
Hospitals and medical centers include Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla – San Diego, Scripps Green Hospital, and Jacobs Medical Center at UC San Diego Health. Click here for a list of all hospitals and medical centers in San Diego County.
Public transportation for La Jolla CA homes for sale is served by San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS). The nearest major airport is San Diego International Airport, offering international and domestic flights from San Diego – located 13 miles from the center of La Jolla. Another major airport is McClellan-Palomar Airport, offering domestic flights from Carlsbad – located 26 miles from La Jolla.
Whether you are single, retired or a family with children, La Jolla offers miles of picturesque coastline, an abundance of outstanding lifestyle amenities, and is an excellent San Diego community to live in!
The Magnus Realty Group Team
With uncompromising standards of integrity, honesty, and service, we’ll give you the assurance that your home sale or purchase transaction will be completed promptly, professionally and ethically. We invite you to give us a call today and we’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have!
1081 Camino Del Rio S., Ste. 223
San Diego, CA 92108